Hi! Today I wanted to share with you the benefits that essential oils can bring to us daily, and also the many ways we can enjoy them! Aromatherapy is the use of whole essential oils extracted from various parts of plants for therapeutic purposes. It has been used for millennia in various cultures around the world and has stood the test of time with its diversity of applications and effectiveness.
There are many ways to use aromatherapy, but they fall under two main types of application: inhalation and topical use.
Inhalation applications may be :
- using a diffuser or oil burner to spread the scent of the oil around your house;
- dry evaporation, and you do this by putting about 3 drops of a chosen oil (or mix of oils) on a cloth or cotton ball and place it near you, where it will slowly release its scent;
- another option is to use oils in steam treatments, where you put about 5 drops of a chosen oil (or mix) in a bowl with boiling water and inhale the vapor;
- you can also create a spray to use as a home fragrance; to do this just add about 15 drops of one essential oil (or a mix of them), add water to the spray bottle, shake, and it’s ready to use!
Topically, you can use essential oils in baths or soaks, and for this it’s best to combine them first with a carrier oil (like avocado, olive or sesame oils) or honey, so that they are well incorporated. Some oils can be applied directly to the skin, in a massage for example, but usually it’s also better to combine them with a carrier oil first.
A little disclaimer here, if you’re on medication do consult with your physician before using aromatherapy, because essential oils can interfere with medication. Same applies for pregnant women, as some oils interfere with hormones. Always be on the safe side, and go natural whenever possible! 🙂 And another note, contributed by a friend, make sure that the essential oil is pure, meaning, it doesn’t have additives or any chemicals in its composition, as those are usually fragrance oils, not essential oils!
Here are some essential oils and their properties:
- Chamomile oil: excellent calming oil, helps calm the mind and soothe flared emotions; it also helps calm irritated skin and helps with tissue regeneration.
- Cinnamon leaf oil: helps lift you up energetically whether you’re feeling depressed, exhausted or just down; it helps also with digestion, helps relieve rheumatic conditions, and helps fight flues and colds.
- Eucalyptus oil: helps relieve respiratory problems; fights inflammation; helps relieve sore muscles and tension headaches; helps clear the mind and be more focused too.
- Frankincense oil: a brilliant promoter of calmness and inner peace; helps relieve rheumatic and muscular pain; and it also helps balance and heal the skin.
- Lavender oil: another brilliant oil to help relieve stress, anxiety and migraines; it also is a strong antiseptic, so it helps heal flues, colds and asthma; it’s balancing and healing for the skin too.
- Lemon oil: helps with digestive processes; helps sharpen the mind and concentration; and it helps reduce the acidity levels of the body, with all the benefits that brings.
- Orange oil: lifts the spirit up, promoting happiness; stimulates the lymphatic system and helps the body get rid of toxins; it also soothes the digestive system.
- Rose oil: one of the most common oils used for skincare, it also helps balance emotions and soothes depression, fear and anger; helps balance the heart and digestive system too.
- Tea tree oil: powerful antifungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral and the list could go on, this is an extremely powerful oil that stimulates the immune system and that should be used diluted in carrier oils for safety. It also helps soothe muscle aches.
There are MANY more essential oils but these are easy to find and have a good range of therapeutic properties. If you’re interested in knowing more about essential oils and their properties, check the book “Essential Oils for Beginners” (on Amazon), it’s got information on over 60 different oils and how to use them for various applications and purposes.
Beside their therapeutic properties, using these oils in any of their application methods also gives us a sense of pampering and self care, and we deserve to feel pampered and take good care of ourselves! So, if if you find any oil that resonates with you, give it a try! You deserve it!
Want more energy techniques, tools AND a free money energy clearing audio as a gift? 😀
Liked This Article? Spread the Love! 🙂